It’s that time of year again, when pumpkin-flavored everything starts to hit the shelves. And what better way to embrace the season than with a batch of pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting? This recipe is perfect for any fall occasion, from Halloween parties to Thanksgiving dinners. Plus, it’s baked in a jelly roll pan, making it easy to serve a crowd. So grab your apron and let’s get baking!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the bars are baking, make the cream cheese frosting. In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk, and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Once the bars are done, let them cool completely in the pan.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting over the cooled bars.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Serving Size: 1 bar
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrates: 34g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20-25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
10×15 inch jelly roll pan
Measuring cups and spoons
These pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting are delicious on their own, but you can also top them with chopped nuts, whipped cream, or a drizzle of caramel sauce for extra decadence. Serve them at your next fall gathering or enjoy them as a sweet treat with a cup of coffee or tea.
If you want to mix things up, try adding a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice to the cream cheese frosting for even more fall flavor. You can also add chopped nuts or raisins to the pumpkin batter for extra texture.
If you don’t have canned pumpkin puree, you can use fresh pumpkin puree instead. Just make sure to drain any excess liquid before adding it to the batter. You can also substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend if you need to make this recipe gluten-free.
Store leftover pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them for up to 2 months. Just make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store them in a freezer-safe container.
- Make sure to let the bars cool completely before frosting them, or the frosting will melt and become runny.
- If you don’t have a jelly roll pan, you can use a 9×13 inch baking dish instead. Just increase the baking time by 10-15 minutes.
- Don’t overmix the batter or the bars will be tough.
- Use room temperature cream cheese and butter for the frosting to ensure a smooth and creamy texture.
This recipe makes about 24 bars, depending on how you cut them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make these pumpkin bars ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the bars and frosting up to 1 day ahead of time. Store them separately in the refrigerator and frost the bars just before serving.
Can I use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree?
No, pumpkin pie filling has added sugar and spices, which will throw off the balance of ingredients in this recipe. Stick with canned pumpkin puree for the best results.
Can I use a different type of frosting?
Yes, you can use any type of frosting you like. Cream cheese frosting is a classic pairing with pumpkin, but vanilla or chocolate frosting would also work well.
These pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting are the perfect fall treat. They’re moist, flavorful, and easy to make, making them a great option for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a Halloween party or just looking for a sweet dessert to enjoy on a cozy evening at home, these bars are sure to satisfy. So what are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and get baking!