Are you in need of a quick and easy dessert that will impress your guests this holiday season? Look no further than this delicious yule log recipe. With just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll have a show-stopping dessert in no time.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and granulated sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into the egg mixture, and fold together until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Then, carefully flip it out onto a clean kitchen towel and peel off the parchment paper.
- Spread the whipped cream filling evenly over the cake, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Using the towel to help you, carefully roll the cake up from the short end, creating a spiral shape. Transfer the rolled cake to a serving platter.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, and serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
Calories per serving: 220
Total fat: 10g
Saturated fat: 6g
Total carbohydrates: 30g
Dietary fiber: 1g
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 9×13 inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Medium mixing bowl
- Clean kitchen towel
- Serving platter
This yule log is a stunning dessert on its own, but you can also serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce for an extra special treat.
You can switch up the filling by using different flavors of whipped cream, such as peppermint or raspberry. You can also add nuts, such as chopped hazelnuts or almonds, to the filling for added crunch.
If you don’t have heavy cream, you can use whipped topping or whipped coconut cream instead. You can also use gluten-free flour in place of all-purpose flour if you need to make this recipe gluten-free.
This yule log is best served fresh, but you can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Be sure to sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture to avoid lumps.
- When rolling the cake, use the kitchen towel to help you create a tight spiral.
- Chill the whipped cream filling for about 20 minutes before spreading it on the cake to make it easier to work with.
This recipe makes 8-10 servings.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I make this yule log in advance?
- Can I freeze this yule log?
- Can I use a different type of filling?
Yes, you can make the cake and filling separately up to a day in advance, then assemble and garnish right before serving.
It’s not recommended to freeze this yule log, as the whipped cream filling may not hold up well in the freezer.
Yes, you can use any type of filling you like, such as chocolate ganache or fruit preserves.
This quick and easy yule log recipe is a crowd-pleaser that will impress your guests without taking up too much of your time. The rich chocolate cake and fluffy whipped cream filling make for a deliciously indulgent dessert that’s perfect for any holiday celebration. Give it a try and see for yourself!