There’s nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked apple coffee cake wafting through your kitchen on a lazy Sunday morning. This delicious and easy-to-make recipe for apple coffee cake using cake mix is the perfect way to indulge in a sweet treat without spending hours in the kitchen. With just a handful of ingredients and a little bit of time, you can whip up a mouthwatering cake that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a midday snack.
- 1 package of yellow cake mix
- 1 can of apple pie filling
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yellow cake mix, apple pie filling, eggs, vegetable oil, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- If you’re using pecans, fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Serving size: 1 slice
Saturated Fat: 2g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Total Time: 45-50 minutes
- 9×13 inch baking pan
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
This apple coffee cake is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a midday snack. Serve it warm with a dollop of whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a drizzle of caramel sauce for an extra indulgent treat.
- Swap out the apple pie filling for cherry, blueberry, or peach pie filling for a different flavor
- Add a streusel topping made with brown sugar, flour, and butter for extra crunch
- Use a spice cake mix instead of a yellow cake mix for a more intense flavor
- Use melted butter instead of vegetable oil
- Use almond milk or coconut milk instead of water
- Use walnuts or almonds in place of pecans
- Use pumpkin pie filling instead of apple pie filling for a seasonal twist
Store any leftover apple coffee cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the cake for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply microwave a slice for 20-30 seconds or pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes.
- Be sure to grease your baking pan well to prevent the cake from sticking
- If you’re using nuts, be sure to chop them finely so they’re evenly distributed throughout the cake
- Don’t overmix the batter or the cake may become tough
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes before slicing to prevent it from falling apart
This recipe can easily be doubled to make a larger cake. Simply use a larger baking pan and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use a different type of cake mix?
- Can I use fresh apples instead of pie filling?
- Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can use any type of cake mix you like. Just be aware that it may change the flavor of the cake.
Yes, you can use fresh apples instead of pie filling. Simply peel and chop 2-3 apples and mix them into the batter.
Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to serve it.
This recipe for apple coffee cake using cake mix is one of my favorites. It’s so easy to make and always turns out moist and delicious. I love the combination of the sweet apple pie filling with the warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. It’s the perfect treat for a lazy weekend morning or a midday snack. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try – you won’t be disappointed!