The Perfect Combination of Sweet and Tart
Looking for a dessert that’s both sweet and tart? Then you’ll love this recipe for gooseberry cake! Made with fresh gooseberries and a few simple ingredients, this cake is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Keep reading to learn how to make it.
Before we get started, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh gooseberries, stems removed
Now that you have all of your ingredients, it’s time to get baking! Follow these instructions to make your gooseberry cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with the milk, until everything is well combined.
- Fold in the gooseberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out the surface.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Here’s the nutritional information for one slice of this gooseberry cake:
- Calories: 250
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 220mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 36g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 23g
- Protein: 3g
This gooseberry cake takes about 45-50 minutes to bake and 10 minutes to cool in the pan before it can be removed and cooled completely on a wire rack.
To make this cake, you’ll need a 9-inch cake pan, a medium mixing bowl, a large mixing bowl, and a whisk.
Serve this gooseberry cake with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert.
If you don’t have fresh gooseberries, you can use frozen ones instead. Just be sure to thaw them fully before using them in the recipe.
If you don’t have unsalted butter, you can use salted butter instead. Just be sure to reduce the amount of salt in the recipe by half.
Store any leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Be sure to remove the stems from the gooseberries before using them in the recipe. This will ensure that the cake has a smooth texture.
This gooseberry cake is perfect for summer when gooseberries are in season. If you can’t find fresh gooseberries, you can use frozen ones instead.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of fruit in this recipe?
Yes! You can use any type of fruit you like in this recipe. Try using raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries for a delicious twist.
Can I freeze this cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake for up to 3 months. Just be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing.
What’s the best way to serve this cake?
This cake is delicious on its own, but it’s even better with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This gooseberry cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. It’s easy to make, delicious, and packed with fresh fruit. Give it a try and let us know what you think!