Are you looking for a festive and delicious dessert to serve at your holiday gathering? Look no further than this amazing red and green yule log recipe! Not only is it visually stunning, but it’s also easy to make and tastes absolutely divine.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Green food coloring
- Red food coloring
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan and line it with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper as well.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the vanilla extract until thick and pale yellow.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add this mixture to the egg yolk mixture and stir until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Pour the batter into the prepared jelly roll pan and smooth it out into an even layer.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- While the cake is baking, whip the heavy cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Divide the whipped cream in half and dye one half green and the other half red.
- When the cake is done baking, immediately loosen the edges with a knife and turn it out onto a clean kitchen towel that has been dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake up tightly in the towel. Let it cool completely.
- Unroll the cake and spread the green whipped cream over the surface. Re-roll the cake and place it seam-side down on a platter.
- Use a serrated knife to cut off a diagonal slice from both ends of the cake. Place them at the top of the cake to resemble branches.
- Cover the entire cake with the red whipped cream and use a fork to make lines resembling tree bark.
- Chill the yule log in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Dust with additional confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat: 7g
Total Carbohydrates: 31g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 35 minutes
- 15×10-inch jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Serrated knife
This red and green yule log is perfect for serving as a holiday dessert. It’s also a great addition to any potluck or party.
If you want to change up the flavors, you can use different extracts in the cake or whipped cream. You can also add nuts or other mix-ins to the filling.
If you don’t have cream of tartar, you can substitute it with an equal amount of lemon juice or white vinegar. You can also use different food coloring or omit it altogether.
This yule log can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It’s best to cover it with plastic wrap or an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
- Make sure to roll the cake up tightly in the towel while it’s still warm to prevent it from cracking.
- Chill the whipped cream before using it to make sure it holds its shape.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cake for a clean and even cut.
This recipe makes 8-10 slices, depending on how thick you cut them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the cake and whipped cream ahead of time and assemble it the day of. Just be sure to store the cake and whipped cream separately in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze this yule log?
It’s not recommended to freeze this yule log, as the whipped cream may become watery and the cake may lose its texture.
This red and green yule log is not only delicious, but it’s also a beautiful addition to any holiday table. The combination of chocolate cake and whipped cream is always a crowd pleaser, and the festive colors make it even more special. I love how easy it is to make, and how it’s the perfect size for a small gathering. I highly recommend trying this recipe out for yourself!