The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a decadent dessert? Sainsbury’s chocolate yule log is the perfect dessert to indulge in during the festive season. This recipe is a crowd-pleaser, and your guests will be impressed with your baking skills. So, get ready to whip up a delicious treat that will leave everyone begging for more.
- 4 large eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 65g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 300ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 50g icing sugar
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and gently fold in with a metal spoon until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the sponge is springy to the touch.
- Dust a sheet of baking parchment with icing sugar and turn the sponge out onto it. Gently peel off the parchment lining and trim the edges with a sharp knife.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream and vanilla essence until just simmering. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted and smooth.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the sponge and roll it up tightly from the short end using the parchment paper to help you.
- Transfer the roll to a serving plate and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Each serving of Sainsbury’s chocolate yule log contains approximately:
- Calories: 320
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fat: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
The total cooking time for this recipe is approximately 50 minutes.
- 30 x 20cm Swiss roll tin
- Baking parchment
- Metal spoon
- Sharp knife
- Small saucepan
- Serving plate
Sainsbury’s chocolate yule log is best served chilled with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
You can switch up the flavors by adding a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to the chocolate mixture. You can also add chopped nuts or dried fruit to the filling for added texture.
If you don’t have caster sugar, you can use granulated sugar instead. You can also use milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate if you prefer a milder flavor.
Sainsbury’s chocolate yule log can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Make sure to grease and line the Swiss roll tin to prevent the sponge from sticking.
- Be gentle when folding in the flour and cocoa powder to prevent the mixture from deflating.
- Use the parchment paper to help you roll up the sponge to prevent it from cracking.
This recipe serves 8 people.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make Sainsbury’s chocolate yule log a day ahead and store it in the fridge until ready to serve.
Q: Can I freeze this recipe?
A: No, this recipe is not suitable for freezing.
Q: Can I use self-raising flour instead of plain flour?
A: No, plain flour is required for this recipe.
Sainsbury’s chocolate yule log is a classic dessert that never fails to impress. The combination of rich chocolate sponge and creamy filling is a match made in heaven. This recipe is easy to follow, and the end result is a show-stopping dessert that will leave your guests wanting more. So, what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think!