Savory Zucchini Bread Recipe
Are you tired of the same old sweet zucchini bread? Looking for a new and exciting twist on this classic recipe? Well, look no further! This savory zucchini bread recipe is sure to tickle your taste buds and leave you craving for more. With the perfect balance of flavors and a moist, tender texture, this unique take on zucchini bread is a real crowd-pleaser.
Savory Zucchini Bread Recipe Overview
If you’re a fan of zucchini and bread, then this savory zucchini bread recipe is a match made in heaven. Combining fresh zucchini, aromatic herbs, and a hint of cheese, this bread is packed with flavor. The key ingredients for this recipe include zucchini, flour, eggs, cheese, herbs, and spices. It’s a simple yet incredibly tasty way to use up those abundant summer zucchinis.
One of the great things about this savory zucchini bread recipe is its versatility. You can easily customize it to suit your dietary preferences or restrictions. For a vegetarian option, you can omit the cheese or use a vegan cheese substitute. If you prefer a gluten-free version, you can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour. Don’t be afraid to get creative and make this recipe your own!
When it comes to cooking time, this savory zucchini bread takes about an hour to bake. It yields a generous number of servings, making it perfect for a family brunch or a delicious snack throughout the week. You can also freeze individual slices for later enjoyment, ensuring you always have a satisfying treat on hand.
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (cheddar or Parmesan)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated zucchini, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and grated cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the beaten eggs, olive oil, and milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 180
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 220mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 21g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 6g
Cooking Time & Servings:
This savory zucchini bread recipe takes approximately 1 hour to cook. It yields about 10-12 servings.
You will need the following equipment to make this savory zucchini bread recipe:
- Loaf pan
- Mixing bowls
- Wire rack
To fully enjoy this savory zucchini bread, it’s best served warm with a spread of creamy butter or cream cheese. It pairs well with a fresh green salad, a bowl of soup, or as a side dish to any main course. For an elegant touch, garnish with some fresh herbs or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Here are a few ideas to enhance the flavor and texture of this savory zucchini bread:
- Add diced sun-dried tomatoes for an extra burst of umami.
- Throw in some chopped olives for a briny twist.
- Experiment with different herbs like thyme or rosemary.
- For a spicy kick, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
If you have any dietary restrictions or preferences, here are some suitable substitutes you can try:
- For a gluten-free option, use a gluten-free flour blend.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the cheese or use a vegan cheese substitute.
- Instead of olive oil, you can use melted butter or vegetable oil.
To keep this savory zucchini bread fresh, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to a week. For longer storage, wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Make sure to squeeze out any excess moisture from the grated zucchini before adding it to the batter. This will prevent the bread from becoming too soggy.
- Feel free to use different types of cheese for added flavor. Gruyere or feta would work well in this recipe.
- For a crunchier crust, sprinkle some grated cheese on top of the bread before baking.
- If you don’t have a loaf pan, you can use a muffin tin to make individual savory zucchini bread muffins.
- This savory zucchini bread is perfect for picnics, potlucks, or any occasion where you want to impress with a unique and delicious dish.
- Try serving this bread with a dollop of homemade pesto for an extra burst of flavor.
- If you prefer a milder taste, reduce the amount of herbs and spices in the recipe.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or halved, depending on your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I use frozen zucchini instead of fresh?
A: Yes, you can use frozen grated zucchini in this recipe. Just make sure to thaw and drain it before using.
Q: Can I make this bread ahead of time?
A: Absolutely! This savory zucchini bread can be made in advance and stored as mentioned in the storage section. It actually tastes even better the next day as the flavors have a chance to meld together.
Q: Can I add nuts to this recipe?
A: Of course! Chopped walnuts or pecans would be a delicious addition to this savory bread. Just fold them into the batter before baking.
Q: Is this recipe suitable for freezing?
A: Yes, this savory zucchini bread freezes well. Wrap individual slices tightly in plastic wrap or foil and place them in a freezer-safe bag. Thaw the slices at room temperature or pop them in the toaster for a quick and easy snack.
This savory zucchini bread recipe falls under the following categories:
- Comfort Food
In conclusion, this savory zucchini bread recipe is a fantastic way to use up your garden-fresh zucchinis and impress your family and friends. With its flavorful combination of herbs, cheese, and zucchini, this bread is a crowd-pleaser that will leave everyone asking for seconds. Whether enjoyed as a snack, side dish, or even a light meal, this bread will surely satisfy your cravings. Give it a try and experience the delicious flavors for yourself!
So what are you waiting for? Grab those zucchinis and get baking! Let your creativity take over and add your personal touch to this already amazing recipe. You can’t go wrong with the savory goodness of zucchini bread. Enjoy the process of making it and savor every bite.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I hope you found it inspiring and informative. I encourage you to share your experiences, feedback, and suggestions with me. Let’s continue to explore the wonderful world of savory zucchini bread together!
“Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.”
– Harriet van Horne