The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious and festive dessert? Introducing the Sugar Geek Yule Log, a sweet treat that is sure to impress your friends and family. This recipe is easy to follow and will have you feeling like a baking pro in no time. So grab your apron and let’s get started!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- Fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a 10×15 inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and pale yellow. Add vanilla extract and beat for another minute.
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture, alternating with milk, until just combined. Fold in the melted butter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
- While the cake is still warm, dust it with confectioner’s sugar and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Roll the cake into a log shape and let it cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Unroll the cake carefully and spread the raspberry jam over it. Top with whipped cream and roll it back into a log shape.
- Dust the log with confectioner’s sugar and garnish with fresh raspberries.
- Refrigerate the log for at least an hour before serving.
Serving size: 1 slice
Total fat: 16g
Saturated fat: 9g
Total carbohydrates: 31g
Dietary fiber: 2g
Total sugars: 21g
Total time: 2 hours
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cooling time: 1 hour
- 10×15 inch jelly-roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Medium and large bowls
- Clean kitchen towel
This Sugar Geek Yule Log is perfect for any holiday gathering or dinner party. Serve it as a festive dessert alongside a cup of hot cocoa or coffee. For an extra special touch, garnish each slice with fresh raspberries and a sprig of mint.
If you’re not a fan of raspberry jam, feel free to substitute it with your favorite fruit preserve. You can also add chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or shredded coconut to the whipped cream filling for some extra texture and flavor.
If you don’t have whole milk, you can use any other type of milk or even cream. You can also substitute the unsalted butter with vegetable oil or coconut oil for a dairy-free version.
Store the Sugar Geek Yule Log in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to a month. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
- Make sure to beat the eggs and sugar until thick and pale yellow. This will give the cake a light and fluffy texture.
- When rolling the cake, use the kitchen towel to help you create a tight and even log shape.
- Refrigerate the log for at least an hour before serving to allow the whipped cream filling to set.
This recipe makes about 12 servings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the cake and filling ahead of time and assemble the log just before serving.
Can I freeze the Sugar Geek Yule Log?
Yes, you can freeze the log for up to a month. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I use a different type of jam?
Yes, you can use any type of fruit preserve that you like.
The Sugar Geek Yule Log is a fun and festive dessert that is perfect for the holiday season. The combination of chocolate cake, raspberry jam, and whipped cream filling is simply delicious. This recipe is easy to follow and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. So why not give it a try and impress your guests with your baking skills?