Looking for a show-stopping dessert recipe that will wow your guests? Look no further than this Tres Leches Cake recipe UK! With its light and airy sponge cake soaked in a sweet, creamy mixture of three different types of milk, this classic Latin American dessert is sure to impress. And the best part? It’s surprisingly easy to make!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract to the egg yolk mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream.
- Poke holes all over the cake with a fork or skewer, then pour the milk mixture over the cake, making sure it gets into all the holes.
- Cover the cake and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top of the cake with cinnamon, if desired.
Serving Size: 1 piece
Saturated Fat: 9g
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes (30 minutes preparation, 30 minutes baking, 30 minutes soaking, 30 minutes refrigeration)
- 9×13 inch baking dish
- Mixing bowls
- Mixing spoons
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Electric mixer
- Fork or skewer
- Large measuring cup or bowl
This Tres Leches Cake is delicious on its own, but you can also serve it with fresh berries, whipped cream, or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Chocolate Tres Leches Cake: Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder to the flour mixture for a chocolate version of this cake.
- Coconut Tres Leches Cake: Replace the whole milk with coconut milk and sprinkle shredded coconut on top of the cake before serving.
- Strawberry Tres Leches Cake: Top the cake with fresh sliced strawberries before serving.
- For a lighter version, you can use low-fat milk and light cream instead of whole milk and heavy cream.
- You can use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour for a gluten-free version of this cake.
Store leftover Tres Leches Cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make sure to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form for a light and airy cake.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before pouring the milk mixture over it.
- Make sure to refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to allow the milk mixture to soak into the cake.
This recipe makes a large cake, perfect for feeding a crowd. Feel free to cut the recipe in half if you don’t need that much cake.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Tres Leches Cake?
Tres Leches Cake is a classic Latin American dessert made with a light and airy sponge cake soaked in a sweet, creamy mixture of three different types of milk: sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream.
Why is it called Tres Leches Cake?
The name “Tres Leches” means “three milks” in Spanish, referring to the three different types of milk used to soak the cake.
Is Tres Leches Cake difficult to make?
Not at all! While it may seem intimidating, Tres Leches Cake is actually quite easy to make. The most important thing is to make sure you beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, as this is what gives the cake its light and airy texture.
This Tres Leches Cake recipe is the perfect dessert for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just want to impress your family and friends. It’s sweet, creamy, and oh-so-decadent, and it’s surprisingly easy to make. Give it a try and see for yourself!