Are you looking for a show-stopping dessert to serve at your holiday party? Look no further than this delicious and festive vanilla cake yule log! With a moist sponge cake, fluffy whipped cream, and a rich chocolate ganache, this dessert is sure to impress your guests and leave them begging for the recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Stir in the melted butter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately turn it over onto a clean kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar. Remove the parchment paper and roll the cake up in the towel, starting at one short end. Allow the cake to cool completely in the towel, rolled up.
- While the cake is cooling, make the whipped cream. In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Unroll the cooled cake and spread the whipped cream evenly over the surface, leaving a small border around the edges. Roll the cake back up, gently peeling away the towel as you go. Place the cake seam-side down on a serving platter.
- Make the chocolate ganache by heating the heavy cream in a small saucepan until just simmering. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Pour the ganache over the cake and use a spatula to spread it evenly over the surface.
- Use a fork or toothpick to create a bark-like texture on the surface of the ganache. Refrigerate the cake for at least 30 minutes, or until the ganache is set.
- Serve the vanilla cake yule log chilled, garnished with fresh berries or powdered sugar.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Saturated Fat: 12g
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 10×15 inch jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Clean kitchen towel
- Electric mixer
This vanilla cake yule log is best served chilled, straight from the refrigerator. Garnish with fresh berries or a dusting of powdered sugar for a festive touch.
Variations and Substitutions
If you’re not a fan of chocolate, you can skip the ganache and simply dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving. You can also add a touch of peppermint extract to the whipped cream for a holiday twist. For a gluten-free version, try substituting a gluten-free flour blend for the all-purpose flour.
Store any leftover vanilla cake yule log in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil to prevent the cake from drying out.
Tips and Notes
- Be sure to roll the cake up in the towel while it’s still warm, to prevent cracking.
- Don’t overmix the whipped cream, or it will become grainy.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the cake for a clean cut.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes! The cake can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Can I freeze this cake?
We don’t recommend freezing this cake, as the whipped cream and ganache may not hold up well after thawing.
Can I use a different type of chocolate for the ganache?
Yes, you can use any type of chocolate you like, from dark to milk to white chocolate. Just be sure to adjust the amount of heavy cream as needed to achieve your desired consistency.
This vanilla cake yule log is a delicious and impressive dessert that’s perfect for any holiday gathering. With its moist sponge cake, fluffy whipped cream, and rich chocolate ganache, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So why not give it a try this holiday season and wow your guests with your baking skills?