Are you ready to add some festive cheer and deliciousness to your Christmas celebrations? Look no further than the Yule Log! This beloved dessert is a staple in many households during the holiday season. Let’s dive into the details of what exactly a Yule Log is, how to make it, and some tips and variations to make it your own.
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sugar decorations, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a jellyroll pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with sugar for ten minutes. Gradually stir in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/3 cup flour, salt, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched.
- Dust a clean dishtowel with confectioners’ sugar. Run a knife around edge of pan, and turn the warm cake out onto towel.
- Remove parchment paper. Starting at the short end of the cake, roll the cake up with the towel. Cool for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until stiff.
- Unroll cake. Spread whipped cream mixture over cake, and reroll.
- Decorate the cake with the sugar decorations, if desired.
- Chill until serving.
One serving of Yule Log contains approximately:
- Calories: 330
- Total Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 183mg
- Sodium: 97mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 25g
- Protein: 5g
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes
- Jellyroll pan
- Clean dishtowel
- Small bowl
Yule Log is perfect for Christmas celebrations and holiday parties. It can be served as a dessert after dinner or as a sweet treat throughout the day. Serve with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar and additional whipped cream if desired.
You can add some of your favorite flavors to the Yule Log recipe to make it your own. Some popular variations include adding peppermint extract to the whipped cream filling or using a chocolate ganache instead of whipped cream.
If you don’t have heavy whipping cream, you can substitute with regular whipped cream or whipped topping. You can also use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour to make it gluten-free.
Yule Log can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
- Be sure to beat the eggs and sugar together for at least ten minutes to get the best texture for the cake.
- When rolling up the cake, roll it tightly to prevent it from cracking.
- Chill the cake before slicing for easier cutting.
Yule Log is a classic Christmas dessert that is sure to impress your guests. It may seem intimidating to make, but with a little patience and some helpful tips, you’ll have a beautiful and delicious dessert in no time!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a Yule Log?
A Yule Log is a dessert made from a thin sheet cake that is rolled up with a sweet filling, resembling a traditional Yule log. It is a popular Christmas dessert in many countries around the world.
Can I make a Yule Log ahead of time?
Yes, you can make a Yule Log ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
What is a good filling for a Yule Log?
Whipped cream and chocolate ganache are popular fillings for a Yule Log. You can also add flavors like peppermint extract or raspberry jam to make it your own.
The Yule Log is a delicious and festive dessert that is perfect for the holiday season. The combination of fluffy cake and sweet whipped cream filling is sure to satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth. While it may seem intimidating to make, the recipe is actually quite simple with a few helpful tips. I encourage everyone to give this classic Christmas dessert a try and add it to your holiday traditions!