As the holiday season approaches, baking enthusiasts everywhere are gearing up to create the perfect yule log cake. But what exactly is the filling in a yule log cake? We’ve got the answer, along with a delicious recipe that will have your taste buds singing with joy!
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Fold gently until everything is combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased jelly roll pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the filling. In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Then, place a clean kitchen towel over the top of the cake and invert it onto the towel.
- Carefully remove the pan and peel off the parchment paper.
- Spread the filling over the cake, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Starting from one of the short ends, gently roll the cake up into a log shape. Use the towel to help you roll it up tightly.
- Transfer the cake to a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Serving size: 1 slice
Saturated Fat: 9g
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Clean kitchen towel
- Serving platter
Pair your yule log cake with a cup of hot cocoa or a glass of milk for a cozy and delicious holiday treat. You can also add fresh berries or a dollop of whipped cream on top for an extra touch of decadence.
For a twist on the classic yule log cake, try adding different flavors to the filling. You could use peppermint extract for a festive flavor, or swap out the cocoa powder for melted white chocolate for a creamy and indulgent filling.
- You can use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Instead of heavy cream, you can use coconut cream or whipped coconut cream for a dairy-free option.
- If you don’t have powdered sugar, you can make your own by blending granulated sugar in a blender or food processor until it becomes a fine powder.
Store your yule log cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover it with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
- Be sure to grease your jelly roll pan well to prevent the cake from sticking.
- When rolling up your cake, be gentle to avoid cracking the cake or the filling.
- For a more professional look, use a fork to create lines on the surface of the cake to resemble tree bark.
Yule log cake is also known as “Buche de Noel” in French, which translates to “Christmas Log”.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
- Can I freeze yule log cake?
- What is the origin of yule log cake?
Yes, you can make the cake and filling ahead of time and store them separately in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to assemble the cake, simply spread the filling over the cake and roll it up.
Yes, you can freeze your yule log cake for up to 2 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container before freezing. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Yule log cake is a traditional dessert that originated in France during the 19th century. The cake is meant to resemble a yule log, which was a large and heavy log that was burned during the winter solstice as a part of pagan rituals.
As a baking enthusiast, I love making yule log cake during the holiday season. This recipe is easy to follow and produces a delicious and decadent dessert that is sure to impress your guests. The filling is creamy and rich, and the cake itself is moist and flavorful. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try!
Yule log cake is a festive and delicious dessert that is perfect for the holiday season. The filling in a yule log cake is typically made with heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract, but you can experiment with different flavors to make it your own. This recipe is easy to follow and produces a moist and decadent cake that is sure to be a hit with your friends and family. Give it a try and enjoy a slice of holiday cheer!