The holiday season is just around the corner, and it’s time to start thinking about what treats to make for your loved ones. One classic dessert that always makes an appearance during this time of year is the Yule Log. This festive cake is not only delicious but also a fun and impressive way to celebrate the season. In this article, we’ll explore what a Yule Log is, its history, and how to make it at home. So, let’s get started!
What is Yule Log Recipe?
A Yule Log, also known as a Bûche de Noël in French, is a traditional dessert that has been a part of Christmas celebrations in Europe for centuries. The cake is shaped like a log, with a sponge cake base, filled with whipped cream, and covered in chocolate buttercream. The cake is then decorated to look like a log, complete with bark-like texture and meringue mushrooms.
For the sponge cake: – 4 large eggs – ¾ cup granulated sugar – 1 tsp vanilla extract – ⅔ cup all-purpose flour – ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder – 1 tsp baking powder – ¼ tsp salt For the whipped cream filling: – 2 cups heavy cream – ¼ cup powdered sugar – 1 tsp vanilla extract For the chocolate buttercream frosting: – 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature – 3 cups powdered sugar – ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder – 3-4 tbsp heavy cream – 1 tsp vanilla extract For the decorations: – Meringue mushrooms – Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray or butter. 2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. 3. Add in the vanilla extract and beat until combined. 4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. 5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, folding gently until just combined. 6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly with a spatula. 7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 8. Lay a damp towel over a large flat surface and sprinkle with powdered sugar. 9. Once the cake is done, immediately invert it onto the prepared towel and peel off the parchment paper. 10. Roll up the towel and cake from the short end and let it cool completely. For the whipped cream filling: 1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream until it starts to thicken. 2. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. 3. Carefully unroll the cake, and spread the whipped cream filling over the top. 4. Roll up the cake again, starting from the short end. For the chocolate buttercream frosting: 1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until it’s light and fluffy. 2. Gradually add in the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and vanilla extract, and beat until smooth and creamy. 3. Frost the outside of the cake with the chocolate buttercream frosting, making it look like a log. 4. Use a fork or spatula to create the bark-like texture on the frosting. 5. Decorate the cake with meringue mushrooms and dust with powdered sugar.
One serving of Yule Log (1 slice) contains approximately 370 calories, 27g fat, 32g carbohydrates, and 3g protein.
Preparation time: 45 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 1 hour
– 15×10-inch jelly roll pan – Parchment paper – Large mixing bowls – Electric mixer – Spatula – Damp towel – Powdered sugar sifter
Serve your Yule Log as a festive dessert after your holiday meal. You can also serve it with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee.
– For a different flavor, try using a different frosting or filling, such as cream cheese frosting or raspberry jam. – You can also decorate your Yule Log with different toppings, such as fresh berries or chopped nuts.
– If you don’t have heavy cream, you can use whipped cream from a can. – You can also use gluten-free flour to make this cake gluten-free.
Store your Yule Log in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
– Make sure to roll up your cake tightly to prevent cracking. – Let your cake cool completely before adding the whipped cream filling. – Use a serrated knife to cut your Yule Log into slices.
– You can make the meringue mushrooms ahead of time and store them in an airtight container until ready to use. – You can also dust your Yule Log with cocoa powder instead of powdered sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I make the cake base ahead of time? A: Yes, you can make the cake base up to a day ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Q: Can I freeze my Yule Log? A: Yes, you can freeze your Yule Log for up to a month. Make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. Q: Can I use whipped cream from a can instead of making my own? A: Yes, you can use whipped cream from a can if you prefer.
The Yule Log is a classic Christmas dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. With its sponge cake base, whipped cream filling, and chocolate buttercream frosting, this cake is sure to delight your taste buds. Whether you’re serving it to your family or bringing it to a holiday party, the Yule Log is a festive and impressive dessert that’s perfect for the season. So why not give it a try and start a new holiday tradition this year?