The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a decadent white chocolate yule log? This classic dessert is not only delicious but also makes for a beautiful centerpiece on any festive table. With its rich chocolate sponge cake and creamy white chocolate filling, this yule log is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
- 4 large eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 300ml double cream
- 200g white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 33cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the self-raising flour and cocoa powder, and fold gently until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out with a spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the sponge is firm to the touch and springs back when lightly pressed.
- Lay a sheet of baking parchment onto a work surface and dust with icing sugar. Carefully turn out the sponge onto the parchment and remove the baking parchment from the bottom of the sponge.
- Roll up the sponge tightly from one of the shorter ends, using the parchment to help you. Leave to cool completely in the rolled up position.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat the double cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until just simmering.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped white chocolate and vanilla extract. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Unroll the cooled sponge and spread the filling evenly over the surface, leaving a small border around the edge.
- Roll up the sponge tightly once again, using the parchment to help you. Transfer to a serving plate and dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Calories: 331
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 119mg
- Sodium: 60mg
- Potassium: 126mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 22g
- Vitamin A: 712IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
- Calcium: 85mg
- Iron: 1mg
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 12-15 minutes
- Cooling time: 45 minutes
- 33cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin
- Baking parchment
- Mixing bowl
- Electric whisk or stand mixer
- Small saucepan
- Serving plate
For an extra festive touch, serve your white chocolate yule log with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of crushed candy canes. You can also decorate the log with fresh berries or chocolate shavings, if desired.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try swapping out the white chocolate filling for a dark chocolate ganache or a whipped cream and raspberry filling. You can also add different flavors to the sponge cake, such as orange or peppermint extract.
If you don’t have self-raising flour, you can make your own by combining 100g of all-purpose flour with 1 tsp of baking powder. You can also use milk or dark chocolate instead of white chocolate, if preferred.
Your white chocolate yule log can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Make sure to roll up the sponge tightly while it’s still warm, as this will prevent it from cracking later on.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the yule log, as this will give you clean, even slices.
- If your filling is too runny, you can chill it in the fridge for a few minutes before spreading it onto the sponge.
This recipe makes 8-10 servings.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I freeze my white chocolate yule log?
Yes, you can freeze your yule log for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil before freezing, and allow to thaw at room temperature before serving.
Can I make this recipe in advance?
Yes, you can make your yule log up to 2 days in advance. Store it in the fridge until ready to serve.
Can I use a different type of chocolate for the filling?
Yes, you can use milk or dark chocolate instead of white chocolate, if preferred.
The white chocolate yule log is a classic dessert that’s perfect for the holiday season. With its rich chocolate sponge cake and creamy white chocolate filling, it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends. This recipe is easy to make and can be customized to suit your tastes. So why not give it a try and impress your guests with this deliciously festive treat?