The holiday season is here, and nothing beats the excitement of baking a homemade Yule log cake to share with your family and friends. This traditional French cake, also known as Buche de Noel, is a festive dessert that resembles a log of wood, often decorated with meringue mushrooms and powdered sugar to mimic snow. In this article, we will share a delicious Yule log cake pan recipe that is easy to make and sure to impress your guests.
– 4 large eggs – 1/2 cup granulated sugar – 1/2 cup all-purpose flour – 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder – 1 tsp baking powder – 1/4 tsp salt – 1/2 cup heavy cream – 1 tsp vanilla extract – 1/4 cup powdered sugar – 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips – 3 tbsp unsalted butter – 1 tbsp corn syrup – Meringue mushrooms and powdered sugar for decoration (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F. Grease a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan with butter and line it with parchment paper. 2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together for 5 minutes until light and fluffy. 3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Gradually fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture until well combined. 4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the cake is firm to the touch. 5. While the cake is baking, prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. 6. Once the cake has finished baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Then, dust a clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar and invert the cake onto it. 7. Remove the parchment paper from the cake and spread the whipped cream filling over it, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. 8. Roll the cake tightly using the towel, starting from the short end. Place the rolled cake seam side down on a platter and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. 9. In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup over a double boiler until smooth. Let it cool for a few minutes. 10. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and spread the chocolate frosting over it. Use a fork to create a bark-like texture on the frosting. 11. Decorate the cake with meringue mushrooms and powdered sugar if desired. Serve chilled.
– Calories: 240 per serving – Total Fat: 13g – Saturated Fat: 8g – Cholesterol: 82mg – Sodium: 110mg – Total Carbohydrates: 28g – Dietary Fiber: 1g – Sugars: 20g – Protein: 4g
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 12-15 minutes Cooling Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
– Jelly roll pan (15x10x1 inch) – Parchment paper – Mixing bowls – Whisk – Spatula – Kitchen towel – Platter – Double boiler – Fork
Cut the Yule log cake into slices and serve chilled with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee. You can also add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top for extra indulgence.
– Swap the semisweet chocolate chips for white chocolate or dark chocolate. – Add a splash of rum or brandy to the whipped cream filling for a boozy twist. – Use different decorations such as fresh berries, sugared cranberries, or candy canes.
– Use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour for a gluten-free version. – Substitute the heavy cream with whipped coconut cream for a dairy-free option. – Replace the corn syrup with honey or maple syrup.
Store the Yule log cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to cover it with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out.
Tips & Notes
– Make sure to whisk the eggs and sugar for at least 5 minutes until they are pale and fluffy. This will help create a light and airy cake. – Dusting the kitchen towel with powdered sugar before rolling the cake will prevent it from sticking. – Be gentle when rolling the cake to avoid cracking. – Use a serrated knife to slice the cake for a clean cut.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I freeze the Yule log cake? A: Yes, you can freeze the cake without the frosting for up to 1 month. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before frosting and decorating. Q: Can I use a different size of pan? A: Yes, you can use a smaller or larger pan, but make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly. Q: Can I make the cake ahead of time? A: Yes, you can make the cake and filling ahead of time and assemble it on the day you want to serve it.
This Yule log cake pan recipe is a perfect dessert to celebrate the holiday season. With its rich chocolate flavor and creamy filling, it’s sure to impress your guests. Don’t be intimidated by the rolling process – with a little practice, you’ll master it in no time. Try this recipe out for yourself and enjoy the festive spirit it brings. Happy holidays!