The holiday season is upon us and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious Yule Log Cake San Diego! This traditional dessert is not only tasty, but also serves as a beautiful centerpiece for your holiday table. In this article, we will show you how to make this festive treat step-by-step, while also providing you with helpful tips and substitutions to make it your own. So, let’s get started!
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 10-inch by 15-inch jelly roll pan with butter and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together into a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is glossy.
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared jelly roll pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with your finger.
- Dust a clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar and gently flip the cake out onto the towel. Peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake up in the towel. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Add the confectioners’ sugar, butter, and peppermint extract and continue to beat until well combined.
- Unroll the cake and spread the peppermint cream over the top. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies.
- Re-roll the cake and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Total Fat: 19g
Saturated Fat: 11g
Total Carbohydrates: 31g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Jelly roll pan (10-inch by 15-inch)
- Mixing bowls
- Parchment paper
- Clean kitchen towel
This Yule Log Cake San Diego makes a perfect addition to your holiday dessert table. Serve it alongside other festive treats, like gingerbread cookies or sugar cookies, for a delicious spread. Pair it with a warm cup of cocoa or coffee and enjoy with family and friends.
There are many ways to customize this Yule Log Cake San Diego to your liking. Try using different flavored extracts or adding in nuts or dried fruit to the filling. You can also switch up the frosting by using a cream cheese or chocolate frosting instead of the peppermint cream. Get creative and have fun with it!
- You can substitute the peppermint extract with vanilla extract, almond extract, or any other flavor you prefer.
- If you don’t have a jelly roll pan, you can use a regular baking sheet but the cake will be thinner.
- If you don’t have heavy cream, you can use whipped cream instead.
- You can substitute the crushed peppermint candies with crushed candy canes or omit them altogether.
This Yule Log Cake San Diego can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It’s best to let it come to room temperature before serving.
- Make sure to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form for a light and fluffy cake.
- Be gentle when folding the egg whites into the batter to avoid deflating them.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the filling to prevent it from melting.
- Dust the towel with a generous amount of powdered sugar to prevent the cake from sticking.
This Yule Log Cake San Diego is a classic holiday dessert that is sure to impress your guests. It’s a bit time-consuming to make, but the end result is worth it. Don’t be intimidated by the rolling process, just take it slow and it will turn out perfectly. Happy baking!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Yule Log Cake?
A Yule Log Cake, also known as a Bûche de Noël, is a traditional dessert served during the holiday season. It’s made of a sponge cake that is rolled with a filling and frosted to resemble a log. It’s usually decorated with powdered sugar, meringue mushrooms, and other festive decorations.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It’s best to let it come to room temperature before serving.
Can I freeze this cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before freezing. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Yule Log Cake San Diego is a delicious and festive dessert that will impress your guests this holiday season. It’s a bit time-consuming to make, but the end result is worth it. With a light and fluffy cake, a creamy peppermint filling, and a dusting of powdered sugar, this dessert is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So, gather your ingredients and get baking!