A Fun and Delicious Recipe to Celebrate the Holidays
The holiday season is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious Yule Log Roll Cake? This festive dessert is perfect for any gathering, and will leave your taste buds wanting more. In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make this mouth-watering dessert, along with some tips, variations, and substitutions to make it your own.
For the cake: – 4 eggs, separated – 1/2 cup sugar – 1/2 cup all-purpose flour – 1/4 cup cocoa powder – 1 tsp baking powder – Pinch of salt For the filling: – 1 cup heavy cream – 1/4 cup powdered sugar – 1 tsp vanilla extract For the frosting: – 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened – 2 cups powdered sugar – 1/4 cup cocoa powder – 1 tsp vanilla extract – 2-3 tbsp milk
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy. 3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. 4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture, stirring until well combined. 5. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. 6. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until just combined. 7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly. 8. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 9. While the cake is still warm, carefully roll it up with the parchment paper and let it cool completely. 10. In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. 11. Unroll the cake and spread the whipped cream filling evenly over the surface. 12. Carefully roll the cake back up and place it on a serving platter. 13. In another bowl, beat the butter until creamy. 14. Gradually add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and milk, beating until smooth and creamy. 15. Spread the frosting over the cake, using a spatula to create a bark-like texture. 16. Use a fork to create lines across the surface of the frosting to mimic the look of a tree bark. 17. Decorate with powdered sugar, fresh berries, or chocolate shavings, if desired. 18. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
– Calories: 320 – Total Fat: 19g – Saturated Fat: 11g – Cholesterol: 110mg – Sodium: 55mg – Total Carbohydrates: 33g – Dietary Fiber: 1g – Sugars: 26g – Protein: 4g
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
– 10×15 inch jelly roll pan – Parchment paper – Mixing bowls – Electric mixer – Spatula – Fork – Serving platter
Serve the Yule Log Roll Cake chilled with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee for a perfect winter treat. You can also garnish it with powdered sugar, fresh berries, or chocolate shavings to add some extra flavor and visual appeal.
– Add some peppermint extract to the frosting for a minty twist – Use different flavored fillings such as caramel or raspberry – Substitute the cocoa powder for matcha powder for a green tea flavor – Use different decorations such as candy canes, gingerbread cookies, or fondant decorations
– Substitute the heavy cream for whipped coconut cream for a dairy-free option – Use gluten-free flour for a gluten-free option – Substitute the sugar for a sugar substitute such as stevia or monk fruit sweetener
Store the Yule Log Roll Cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months by wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and placing it in a freezer-safe container.
– Make sure to roll the cake while it’s still warm to prevent it from cracking – Use a serrated knife to slice the cake for a clean cut – Chill the cake before frosting to make it easier to handle
– This recipe makes one 10×15 inch cake – The cake can be made a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I use a different sized pan? A: Yes, you can use a different sized pan, but the baking time may vary. Q: Can I make this cake ahead of time? A: Yes, you can make the cake a day ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Q: Can I use a different filling? A: Yes, you can use different fillings such as fruit preserves or chocolate ganache.
Indulge in the festive delight of Yule Log Roll Cake this holiday season. This fun and delicious recipe is perfect for any gathering, and with some variations and substitutions, you can make it your own. Try it out for yourself and impress your guests with this mouth-watering dessert. Happy Holidays!